Social Media in Business
It seems crazy to think it was only 8 or so years ago in 2008/9 that Social Media in business was only just starting to filter into the minds of SOME businesses as being a possible route to market. Not many really ‘got it’.
That it could even take over a business’s marketing spend from the traditional marketing arena would have been a totally insane thought!
But, take over it has; and here to stay it is.
Society is Changing
When a new communication channel is invented, society has to change. This is the story behind Clay Shirkey’s book ‘Here Comes Everybody’ – and here everybody comes!
So where are we at and what should we be doing about our business in the Social Media arena? What is it all for?
- MANAGE YOUR OWN EXPECTATIONS. Don’t expect for everything to happen all at one. I remember once we had a client who wrote a blog and posted it up… “My blog’s been up for a week and I haven’t had one enquiry”. Slightly extreme, but you get the picture.You are in this for the long haul. Don’t expect to build the world in 7 days!
- HAVE A PLAN. You probably have heard and read this a thousand times when it comes to business but how do you create a plan? I remember thinking this way back when I first started working for myself.What does a plan look like? Who is the plan for? Why?A plan looks like what you want it to look like. The best way to start is to just make a shopping list. Start big and then start crossing things off. Depending what stage you are at in your business it could look something like this:
- Research Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube for business.
- Am I really happy with my brand and website and how I ‘look’ on the Internet.
- Am I comfortable with my personality on the Internet and do I understand what that is?
- Write down 10 things I am really passionate about and turn them into blogs (This could be industry related or anything. Just a passion)
- Set up news feed filters so that I only get information and news that I am interested in. (If you are interested in something and put it out there then you will attract and build a community that is interested in the same stuff as you. This is essential. You are not looking for everyone. Just your kind of people!)
- Write down 10 things I could do a video on.
- Make sure my content is interesting.
And so on…..
This plan is for you.
Make it fun. Make it interesting and make sure it’s a list of things that you enjoy and can do.
Make sure that you have a couple of things on there that push your own boundaries.
“Adventure should be 80 percent ‘I think this is manageable,’ but it’s good to have that last 20 percent where you’re right outside your comfort zone. Still safe, but outside your comfort zone.” – Bear Grylls
- DON’T BE FRIGHTEND ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE THINK! –
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time” John Lydgate
And you are certainly not looking to please all of the people all of the time, and if you are then you will most certainly flounder. And also, you will not really find your true voice and therefore not be authentic.
TWO of my four absolute constant words that I have always adhered to on the Internet are to be AUTHENTIC and APPROPRIATE.
Keep It Real
Authentic – real or genuine: not copied or false! Say what you want and be yourself, but… then appropriate controls that. So you are being authentic but just in the right places, with the right people and in the right way.
It’s just people out there. I have trained and spoken to many business people over the years and they all have their fears about ‘saying the right thing’ or ‘who will be interested in what I have to say?’. You would be absolutely astonished at some of the things that could get you noticed and people would be interested in. You just have to bite the bullet and try it.
Unless you are some out and out soap box preaching type of person you are more than likely to appeal to a select few with what you say and what you do. AND THAT IS PLENTY.
You are not looking to please everyone. You are not looking to have everyone as a potential customer. You just want to appeal to your audience and be with the people who want to do business with you. It makes for a much better daily business life.
Social Media in Business – just to sum up
- Manage your own expectations – just keep going, steady and consistent.
- Have a plan for social media in business – this might be the hardest bit but keep your eyes and ears open for great content.
- Don’t be frightened about what people think – If you know your stuff and you are authentic and appropriate then the right people will find you and love you!
And remember, if you want any further clarification and help – We ‘get’ digital, so we can help J